Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sister P


Dearest Family-

Last Monday we hiked 관악산... Gwanak Mountain. not sure how high it is, but it was pretty long! So fun. I love nature and have missed it living in this big city! our whole Zone went together. The Koreans get all dressed up when they go hiking...seriously. Like special pants and backpacks and walking poles. it is a big deal. so having about 18 foreigners in t-shirts and sweatpants was hilarious to them! 

Our English class. Still one of my favorite things, but we have this older lady to comes now and makes it a little difficult. and hilarious. Elder Westbrook is always laughing his head off or so frustrated. She just kinda yells out words...if we are speaking in Korean, she yells any words she knows in English. and if we are speaking English, any words she knows in Korean! haha good times!

This week was full of meetings again. We got to attend the temple on Thursday. SO GOOD! Ross will love the Seoul temple when he gets to go. It was a beautiful day outside and even more beautiful inside. And I got to do the family name that Landon found. Thanks Lanny! It made me all teary-eyed when I looked at his name on the card. no matter where we are in the world or what is going on, the temple is truly a place of refuge. It is the house of God. and you can feel it.We always get to have a testimony meeting before we go in...I am amazed by the missionaries I get to serve with! It is so powerful.

Then Friday was Zone Conference. I love President Morrise! really. everyone does. He read pieces of people's letters from our mission to show the miracles. As a whole, we are working MIRACLES here in Korea! sometimes it is hard to see that from where I am at...just walking around and trying to talk to people and teach. but from that vantage point, we really are making a difference. 

so, the best for last! on Tuesday, we went over the baptismal interview questions with Sister P. She is truly prepared. It has been the greatest blessing to be the missionaries that got to teach and learn with her. It was a beautiful experience...holy in so many way...to get to watch her testimony grow and her faith strengthen. on Sunday after her baptism, a member of our bishopric said to me "she has prepared well for baptism...she won't be going in-active! this is what missionary work is all about, right? this, right here!" and he was right. Her cousins and aunt came up for the baptism. and her cousin got to baptize her. Sister Fudge and I sang "Come Thou Fount" right after her aunt bore her testimony. Sister P just had tears running down her face. She is a special soul and everyone can feel it. Her husband also came to church and the baptism. a beautiful family! that night, we texted her and asked her to write down how she felt after her baptism. "Bassett and Fudge missionaries....good good good and good!" was her response. the warmth and light emanating  from her was tangible. 

That is why I am out here! to invite people to come to Christ. I'm not perfect, but I know the way. We all do. The gospel has given us that blessing...we know the way to peace and joy and safety and confidence and guidance and all other good things. The light in Sister Pak has inspired me. I KNOW you will be blessed as you share the gospel. I feel like Sister Pak was a miracle for me. ah. I am just grateful that the Lord let me be here and know her and share the gospel with such an amazing person. and it's not over! the temple is now the next goal. 

I love you all. I love being a missionary. I love Korea. I love all of you!

xoxo, Sister Bassett



No comments:

Post a Comment