Sunday, April 13, 2014

heritage of hope

Dear Family-

Wasn't this General Conference just the best? After one of the sessions, one of the Elder's investigators (he is from Vietnam, so speaks english, but not fluently) asked me what they talked about in the session. I started to talk about what different messages had been shared, but he stopped me. No, he said, what was the main idea? Service was the first word that came to mind. Then, following Christ. Service falls under the second category, of following Christ, because if we truly follow Him and are becoming like Him, then we will be serving others. As we all take the time to study conference again in the coming months, I hope that we can find ways to meaningfully serve others. I have felt it over and over...countless times on my mission...the love and peace we can enjoy by serving others. Even when they don't want it :) we can only offer. I loved Elder Eyring's talk about our heritage of hope. We have been given that, and now have the opportunity to share it with others (living and dead). I know that as we serve, especially those in our own family, we can add to the heritage that we have been blessed with. I am so grateful to mom and dad, grandma and grandpa Bassett, grandma and grandpa Morrise, siblings, cherished friends, and countless others who have given me a heritage of hope, the blessings of the gospel. Like dad says, we stand on the shoulders of others so that we can reach higher.

This week, we have spent a lot of time offering that hope to people through closed, metal doors. They rarely open, and we have never been inside. But, Sister Kwak and I are convinced that if we keep it up...knocking and knocking and knocking...we will find someone someday who has been searching out their heavenly heritage and just couldn't find it.

I am grateful for the blessings of the gospel in our lives. Let’s all go out and share it this week! whether it be with family who already enjoy being members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, those who need help again enjoying blessings of it, friends who are not yet members, the beautiful children in your homes (Ally and Breena)... It is such a wonderful gift, a priceless heritage.

I love you! xoxo, Sister Bassett

No comments:

Post a Comment