Sunday, June 8, 2014

STOP!


Dearest Family-
 
Have I told you yet about our investigator? our only one? her name is Sister Choi. The Elders called her out of former investigators and she wanted to start meeting again! yay! She is really interested in religion (and loves ours) and really interested in English. We usually meet with her daughter Jenny and a friend. She makes them speak to us in English for 30 minutes. and they are really good! Her husband really opposes the church. So much. She has told us about that, but I didn't really understand it until this week. We went to her house, and as soon as Jenny opened the door and we stepped inside, her husband yelled STOP! then (in Korean now) "don't come in anymore." he told his wife to take her "book" and get out. get out now. As he was yelling at us, the first feeling in my heart was fear. It is easy to feel that. Then I started talking to him. Just a nice, happy conversation in the most peaceful tone I could muster. His eyes didn't lose all the fire, but maybe a little bit. The Spirit gives us power, love, and a sound mind. Never fear. It was a neat experience to see the stark difference between the two. We are praying that his heart will be softened and debating what to do with Sister Choi if it is not.
 
I had the chance, after that experience, to reflect on one of my favorite scriptures in 2 Corinthians 3:2, that WE are the epistle to be known and read of all men. Even people like her husband, he is definitely not reading the scriptures, but he "read" us as an epistle of the Lord. It is an empowering and sobering thought.
 
I hope this week to be a better epistle...that when I am seen by others they will know something more about the Savior.
 
I love you!
 
xoxo, Sister Bassett

No comments:

Post a Comment