Sunday, June 22, 2014

who is 김장ing in the middle of summer?!‏


Dear Family-
 
Hey! Lan and dad and mom! have SO MUCH FUN on the Church History Tour. It was such a defining and strengthening experience for me. Dad asked me a few weeks ago if there was advice I have? um...soak it all in. Just love every place, even the long bus rides and late nights. Write in your journal lots. Take pictures. Bear your testimony. it's gonna be amazing.
 
This week was summer! hot and humid. I'm not sure if it isn't as hot yet, or because Incheon is really windy, or because I'm used to it, but this June doesn't seem as hot as last June!
 
Last Tuesday we had a lesson with Sister Choi about how we love our families...they are important to us and we can live with them forever. That knowledge of an eternal relationship helps give us perspective and changes how we treat our family here and now. Sometimes she and her daughter have a rough relationship. We also had interviews with President. I love those. He had us share something we had learned in personal study that day. I have a goal to read the whole New Testament this transfer, so I shared with him what I read Tuesday morning from Matthew 19:20. We all know the story...the young rich man, faithful in keeping the commandments, asks Christ what more he lacks. Then the Master responds, with love, that he most sell all his has and follow the Savior. The young man is sorrowful, because he has MUCH. Reading the Four Gospels in light of just having read "Jesus the Christ" has been really neat. Elder Talmage talks about how, at some point or another, Christ will ask us to do that which is most difficult in order to follow Him, for what He wants are true disciples. We must have no priorites above Him. Sometimes I feel like the rich young man...I have so much to give up and get rid of. Yet as I work, just one by one, at giving away my possessions, I can feel His guidance in my life leading me to what is most important. I love this quote from from Elder Christofferson- "Thegospel...is the freedom to become what you can and ought to be. But for your freedom to be complete, you must be willing to give away all your sinsyour willfulness, your cherished but unsound habits,perhaps even some good things that interfere with what God sees is essential for you." (it's from his talk "You are Free" in the March 2013 Ensign. I really recommend it) I am trying everyday to find that person that God sees in me.
 
Wednesday was exchanges! I went to 만수 Mansu area with Sister Sloan and Sister Mineer (they are in a tri-panionship). Oh man. I love Sister Sloan. She always inspires me to work harder, be more faithful, and just push through everything that might come my way. I got to have a super fun lesson with this couple they are teaching. Such cute newly weds! After we exchanged back on Thursday, Sister Nebeker had picked out a few people from the CMIS list (I can't remember what that stands for) for us to visit. We have about 200 less actives in this ward, so we are trying to confirm addresses. anyway. ready for the Miracle of the Week? We found one! aawwwwwwwwesome. She was young, maybe still in her 20's. She was home and we talked with her and she gave us her new phone number. Thanks for signing up to be on Sister Bassett and Sister Nebeker's weekly visit list! she was really cute. maybe all she needs is a hug and an invitation to come back.
 
THEN! another miracle! on Saturday we English flyer-ed for our class (we teach on Saturday nights). We gave away lots, but didn't find anyone who was super interested. I was super hungry and have been addicted to tuna kimbap lately, so we ran in to this place by the church to grab a bite to eat. As we are leaving, this guy says "hello!" and the conversation goes as follows (except in Korean)
him "hey, I have a question"
us "yes?"
"do you speak Korean?"
"yes, a little"
"do you have an english class?"
"yes! actually it is tonight at 5:30"
"oh. (the current time is just after 5) so in just a little bit."
"yes. if you have time, you should come sometime! are you learning english?"
"actually, I'll come tonight. see you soon!"
ahhhsssssssa! so he came to english class. turns out, he is practically fluent at english (embarassment...) and has gospel interest! He asked about our church and we talked for a while. He didn't make it to church last week, but promised to come next week. I'm really happy and grateful that God doesn't always expect us to run and chase down every blessed miracle, sometimes He brings them right to us.
 
Our week ended fantastically with the Kajeong ward (we live with Kajeong ward sisters) bishop! I had seen him at the church building and somehow it was brought up that I want to learn to make kimchi (called 김장 kimjang). so Sunday night his daughter calls and invites us all over to make kimchi at his house. Score! it was so fun. They live in the same appartment complex as us, so we just walked on over there! i love it. we will be making kimchi at our house.
 
I love you! have a wonderful week! you are in my prayers and in my heart.
xoxo, Sister Bassett
 

No comments:

Post a Comment